Basically, Fucked-Off . UpTheArsenal: Blissful news ignorance, Powell, Wangari Maathai, and Natural Capitalism

Monday, November 15, 2004

Blissful news ignorance, Powell, Wangari Maathai, and Natural Capitalism

My quest for ignorance continues... at least political ignorance. Thankfully, I have not heard a single pundit in what seems like a lifetime. I have not watched nor listened to a single political show. I have changed my homepag from the bbc news online to thefreedictionary.com. I am calmer and more productive for it.

Still, I got to the gym and I learnt that Colin Powell has resigned. My reaction, never has one significant act been more "a day late and a dollar short." Don't care, let me know when his memoirs come out. I want to see dirt.

Anyway, my news diet is restricted to the Alternet and James Wolcott and Guardian, but only in irregular and limited doses.

Last night, I went to the alternet and found an article by Nobel Peace Prize winner and enviromentalist, Wangari Maathai, "Nature, Nurture and Culture." In it she argues that a cultural revival may be the only thing that stands between conservation and the destruction of the environment. I am fascinated by her "systems approach" (i.e. holistic) to environmental issues. Since, I am also currently reading some material on "natural capitalism" and The Natural Step framework, which also take a systems approach to market economy, development and sustainability - I am doubly-fascinated. The latter clearly is a product of a purely western experience. But, taken together....

My favorite observation in her essay reads,
"People without culture feel insecure and are obsessed with the acquisition of material things, which give them a temporary security that itself is a delusional bulwark against future insecurity. Without culture, a community loses self-awareness and guidance, and grows weak and vulnerable. It disintegrates from within as it suffers a lack of identity, dignity, self-respect and a sense of destiny."
Sound like anybody you know...