Basically, Fucked-Off . UpTheArsenal: Gilberto in Central Defence

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Gilberto in Central Defence

How come no one has answered this question:

Gilberto playing in central defence?

I know this is makeshift strategy, but. Obviously, Gilberto in central defence when Toure was suspended is beyond doubt. But, when Kolo is back on the side, is this the best approach?

I am not really sure what I think of it yet. I've always thought Gilberto is indispensable to the team. But I thought this of his position in midfield.

When Kolo and Djourou are both fit, is playing Gilberto as a CD really the best option of lousy options? I have no intellectual reason to object, but my gut tells me, not.

Both Kolo and Gilberto are good players anywhere on the pitch, but. Gilberto gives us something irreplaceable in midfield (I know this because, remember when he had back problems?). I am just not convinced Gilberto in midfield is something we should fuck with when it can be avoided.

BTW: I am not questioning Gilberto's performance as a CD. I am questioning the invisible void he leaves in midfield by occupying a spot in CD.

When Djourou is fit, let him play on the right or Hoyte even (his development has been impressive), and slot Flamini on the left. Keep Toure and Gallas in the middle with Gilberto in front of them. That's my gut feel. two key players out of position seems too much.

Flamini isn't injured, is he?