Basically, Fucked-Off . UpTheArsenal: Enough, already. I am sick of the Tsunami ...There are other problems

Monday, January 10, 2005

Enough, already. I am sick of the Tsunami ...There are other problems

As callous as this may sound, I have had enough. I am sick of hearing about the Tsunami devastation and its victims. I have long been sick and tired of hearing survisor stories. I am sick of the opportunism of the journalists and politicians, using this to advance their careers. I am sick of hearing pundits talk about how "generous" the peoples of their country are. Sick, sick, sick of it, all of it.

Besides, I keep thinking, if this had happened in Africa, this outpour of emotions wouldn't even be half what we are seeing. Already, Somali which suffered about 200 deaths is practically forgotten in this unbelievable outpour of emotions. I am still pissed about the lacklustre, more like non-existent, response to the Rwandan genocide.

There is something immoral about picking a single disaster and reacting to it in an overwhelming, boundless manner, a reaction that, to me, suggestively denies all the other atrocities (natural or man-made) that peoples across the globe suffer everyday. It was the same shit with 9/11 - we never fucking heard the last of it, look what that did? If you want to suspend any rational thought, appeal to facts, evidence and science, just say "9/11." As bad as the devastation has been in these countries, I have had enough. Everyone must just shut the fuck up, and get on with it. Rebuild, do the fuck ever: just shut- the-fuck-up, already. There are other problems in the world, really.

What the fuck? How many people does AIDS kill everyday, everymonth, every year? Where is the outrage about that? Where's the money, the donations, the outpour of emotions and compassion? How many people are killed by poverty related diseases, and hunger? Answer me that.