Basically, Fucked-Off . UpTheArsenal: Black Hole, Not So Hollow After all

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Black Hole, Not So Hollow After all

This is a very funny-hilarious story. The BBC went with, Black holes turned 'inside out'.

So Stephen Hawking, today, dashes the hopes of science fiction lovers everywhere. What, there is no parallel universe? How can there be no parallel universe? All I have to say is, SUCKERS.

I have never quite got the fascination with science-fiction. I think Star Trek is about the only science-fictioney thing I ever followed: the one with William Shatner as (Captain Kirk?) & Leonard Nimoy as Mr Spock. And I am pretty sure it’s because captain Kirk was kinda dishy and TV generally sucked, choicewise. And, I consider myself somewhat amused by technology, gadgets, and science in general.

Confession: I have NOT seen a single one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, not one. Everyone I know wants to loan me the DVDs. I’m like, why? Two of these goddamn things have been on cable for an eternity now, and I still have not bothered to watch. There is another sci-fi craze I am missing apparently……….Oh yeah, The Matrix. I saw the first one. Didn’t see the second. There’s a third installation? Haven’t seen that either. This probably has more to do with the fact that I am not a good consumer, rather than a specific and crazed aversion to sci-fi. I hate anything that is hyped. Bizarrely, I think to myself, if you have to advertise to me, it can’t be that good, can it? If you have to hype it, it must be downright useless! Advertising offends me as a means to motivate/excite me about anything in particular. [Oops, my little brother works in advertising: he pimps stuff to unsuspecting, good consumers – peace, bro :D. I still love you, see.]

This entry was supposed to be about the dashed hopes of sci-fi aficionados. Why am I writing about advertising? Oh, it must be that sci-fi aficionados have been had by the hype (and bad science). Fantastic! There was always something smug, a kind of smarter-than-thou shitface about sci-fi lovers. Pretentious bastards. Half the time, I wondered if these people understood this shit in the first place.

Anyway, I must commend Dr Hawking, as a scholar, for coming back and saying, “ooops, my bad - I was wrong, there is no parallel universe.” I hope he added, “what possessed me to think I had the (empirical) evidence to refute subatomic theory, I will never know.”

It’s a measure of a man or woman to say, I was wrong. Any other takers?