Basically, Fucked-Off . UpTheArsenal: So Whoopi Called Bush a Cunt or Vagina?

Sunday, July 18, 2004

So Whoopi Called Bush a Cunt or Vagina?

I don’t really know which. From Jon Stewart’s monologue Thursday night, I gather the latter. It just got me thinking, it is revolutionary for a woman to call a man a cunt/vagina/punani. This is even better than black people re-appropriating the word nigger and using it as a term of endearment. Men being called bitches is nothing new in our urban, rap-painted pop culture. But, it is practically subversive for a man to be called a cunt/vagina by woman. It has been the sole prerogative of the male species to hurl the ultimate insult, you cunt. And if that’s not enough, they would even call on your mamma’s punani, just for good measure. There’s been no retort for this assault: you penis/ you dick, just do not reverberate as well.

So it is with unimagined relief to hear what Ms. Goldberg said (or did not say). Since I don’t know what she said precisely, for convenience I am going to assume she said cunt. It serves my purposes, and it turns a decidedly bad situation (self-censorship) into a positively empowering one.

I want to congratulate Ms. Goldberg for boldly going where no woman (or man?) has gone before, call a man a big fat cunt. From now onwards, men can expect us to call them just that where warranted. Forget the fallout with Unilever/Slim-Fast (by the way, I too am boycotting their products and telling my friends to do the same) and there’s no love lost with Bush anyway, this is the beginning of the re-appropriation of that word. As with all vocab re-appropriations, there will be naysayers from now till eternity. After all, Bill Cosby still has his knickers in a knot about my nigga. My Nigga, relax.

To all those people who ever called me a cunt though, you cunt right back at ya!

PS. Bush’s face personally reminds me of a wrinkled bottom, but I’ll take cunt since you brought it up.