Basically, Fucked-Off . UpTheArsenal: Did Thatcher improve women's lives without meaning to?

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Did Thatcher improve women's lives without meaning to?

Zoe william of theGuardian writes of Thatcher, as the accidental feminist.

Here's the deal, when I was a kid I remember that my father was an ardent Thatcherite , which basically means if you'd asked me my opinion, I would have told you everything my father said on the matter. She was a capitalist and tough as nails. Moreorless that was gist; and John Major was an antithetical whimp. Not sure what he thought of Tony Blair.

I have had to revisit or (re)form my own opinions about the Iron Lady. Altogether, she's not my cup of tea, although I think if you are at war, you probably want Thatcher in charge. Otherwise she's positively unpalatable. This reminds me of a scene I saw on Discovery Times, during the Falkland Islands war, where she comes out of No. 10 to make a brief press statement, which is avatar Thatcher. Having run the entire operation surprisingly secretively-- away from the media, she comes out and chides the media for prying, urging them to stop asking too many questions and "..... congratulate our forces." And then she stomps off without answering a single question. It's a powerful moment of disrepect in action.

Begrudgingly, I must give her due, especially now when it seems women in positions of power are more interested in appearing coquetish than competent; fuckable than able to fuck you (Only Cheney fucks people these days- and he "fucks them like they have never been fucked before"). Thatcher could have fucked anybody with the best of them. I think that's what my father liked, the machismo of a winner. He could care less whether it was a man or woman exercising it. That's equal-opportunity for you.