Basically, Fucked-Off . UpTheArsenal: On Your Marks, Get Set, Ready... Athens 2004

Saturday, August 07, 2004

On Your Marks, Get Set, Ready... Athens 2004

Basically, I could care less about the Olympics. I am not opposed to them being held per se, I just don't care. I deeply care about the World Cup, for example. Olympics, not so much. I actually appreciate them notionally as a giant, free ad and money-making scheme for the host country, which is cool as long we spread the hosting joy around.

It's been mildly annoying hearing reference after reference about how Athens won't be ready. "Athens won't be ready. Do they even know they are hosting the Olympics THIS YEAR?" The all-knowing ignoramus asks, one after the other.

When you listen to, or read US media, you put up with a lot smug, mindless babble about other countries and their incompetency. Just about every know nothing has said, " Athens won't be ready". From 60 minutes to that chubby, pretentious goon, Bryant Gumble. It's a cheap late-night joke, told when they've run out ideas. My own friends belief this garbage.

Basically, I think it's racist. The underlying message is, if it is not done our way, or by us, it fails. And that irritates me. My feeeling has been, "don't worry they will be ready: They won't be ready 3 months before the Olympics, but come opening night they WILL BE READY!" That's all they have to accomplish, isn't it?

The Italians got similar flack for Italia '90. Likewise, South Africa will be dragged through a shit-storm as she prepares for the 2010 World Cup. Why? Very simply, if you don't share the anal retentiveness of germanic efficiency, you are defined as inherently incapable of organizing anything. Conclusion, none of these money-spinning events should ever go to these countries. Why do we even bother? They say. Selfish swines! [oy, I hate the word swine, it gives me the creeps.]

I was reminded of this by this beautiful rendition of modern Athens and its history, from The Guardian: The How the Olympic flame sparked a new golden age